The Gatty is a light Turret unit. It is a small and specialized Turret with a fast firing minigun that can quickly burst down light units and infantry. Although it has high DPS, its low weapon rating makes it only effective at killing low armor units such as infantry. It is great for protecting against infantry cheese, Boomer drops and light unit spam.
- High rate of fire allows them to quickly kill light units and infantry quite effectively.
- Has fairly low cost and high health and armor, allowing them to absorb a great deal of damage.
- Has a long build time, making them hard to use as reactionary units against harassment.
- High carry weight makes them hard to micro efficiently.
- Ineffective against Tanks and other heavy units.
- Works well as Harassment defense for Outposts and the Fortress.
- Useful against Light unit or Infantry rushes.
- Very useful to defend against the eventual Level 4 Creeps
On defense, its role is quite straightforward, provide a reliable anti-infantry and light unit turret to cover outposts from persistent waves of Creeps, or the occasional light-unit rush. Fielding them to cover armies against the likes of Butcher and Boomer are quite effective, and can provide support fire similar to a handful of Jackals against incoming armies.
On offense, its roles are a little more limited, as such a specialized turret can be easily countered by a mere couple of tanks, but Gatty retains its role as an excellent anti-light turret to help protect pushes against harassment from light units and passer-by infantry. And can help quickly secure freshly-neutralized outposts from enemy infantry if you have none to spare to capture it yourself.
As Gatty is a stationary turret, it is intended to be a support unit, not a direct combat unit. On defense, for example, placing down Gatties in sockets to defend against a Jackal push may be somewhat effective, but Gatty doesn't have the armor nor the flexibility to take on large numbers of enemies at once. Placing down tanks as distractions and light units for additional firepower help make Gatty even better at its job since it isn't the only thing the enemy can shoot at which allows Gatty to deal more damage over a longer period of time that saves player from having to build even more defense units and keeping the enemy units dead.
A misleading trait shown by its stats is its abnormally High DPS. While this may make Gatty seem able to kill almost everything, one must pay attention to the very low armor piercing value, which ensures that Gatty is unable to deal large damage to anything with even a decent armor rating. As such, its role should be confined to killing infantry and light units. Don't go using it against tanks, otherwise you would have wasted a good amount of credits.
- Prior to build 12180, Gatty was known as the Grinder.
- Gatty, thus far, is the only unit that makes a unique sound when dropped. This sound can be heard when previewing the Gatty.
Get 300 unit kills using Gatties.